Friday 1 July 2011

Fibromyalgia(Fibromyositis; Fibrositis)

Fibromyalgia
Fibromyositis; Fibrositis

Last reviewed: February 14, 2011.

Fibromyalgia is a common syndrome in which a person has long-term, body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues.

Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression, and anxiety.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The cause is unknown. Possible causes or triggers of fibromyalgia include:

Physical or emotional trauma

Abnormal pain response - areas in the brain that are responsible for pain may react differently in fibromyalgia patients

Sleep disturbances

Infection, such as a virus, although none has been identified

Fibromyalgia is most common among women aged 20 to 50.

The following conditions may be seen with fibromyalgia or mimic its symptoms:

Chronic neck or back pain

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Depression

Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)

Lyme disease

Sleep disorders
Symptoms

Pain in the main symptom of fibromyalgia. It may be mild to severe.

Painful areas are called tender points. Tender points are found in the soft tissue on the back of the neck, shoulders, chest, lower back, hips, shins, elbows, and knees. The pain then spreads out from these areas.

The pain may feel like a deep ache, or a shooting, burning pain.

The joints are not affected, although the pain may feel like it is coming from the joints.

People with fibromyalgia tend to wake up with body aches and stiffness. For some patients, pain improves during the day and gets worse at night. Some patients have pain all day long.

Pain may get worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety, and stress.

Fatigue, depressed mood, and sleep problems are seen in almost all patients with fibromyalgia. Many say that they can't get to sleep or stay asleep, and they feel tired when they wake up.

Other symptoms of fibromyalgia may include:

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

Memory and concentration problems

Numbness and tingling in hands and feet

Palpitations

Reduced ability to exercise

Tension or migraine headaches
Signs and tests

To be diagnosed with fibromyalgia, you must have had at least 3 months of widespread pain, and pain and tenderness in at least 11 of 18 areas, including

Arms (elbows)

Buttocks

Chest

Knees
Lower back
Neck
Rib cage
Shoulders
Thighs
Blood and urine tests are usually normal. However, tests may be done to rule out other conditions that may have similar symptoms.
Treatment
The goal of treatment is to help relieve pain and other symptoms, and to help a person cope with the symptoms.
The first type of treatment may involve:
Physical therapy
Exercise and fitness program
Stress-relief methods, including light massage and relaxation techniques.
If these treatments do not work, your doctor may prescribe an antidepressant or muscle relaxant. The goal of medication is to improve sleep and pain tolerance. Medicine should be used along with exercise and behavior therapy. Duloxetine (Cymbalta), pregabalin (Lyrica), and milnacipran (Savella) are medications that are approved specifically for treating fibromyalgia.

However, many other drugs are also used to treat the condition, including:

Anti-seizure drugs

Other antidepressants

Muscle relaxants

Pain relievers

Sleeping aids

Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an important part of treatment. This therapy helps you learn how to:

Deal with negative thoughts

Keep a diary of pain and symptoms

Recognize what makes your symptoms worse

Seek out enjoyable activities

Set limits

Support groups may also be helpful.

Other recommendations include:

Eat a well-balanced diet

Avoid caffeine

Practice good sleep routines to improve quality of sleep (See: Sleeping difficulty)

Acupressure and acunpuncture

Severe cases of fibromyalgia may require a referral to a pain clinic.
Expectations (prognosis)

Fibromyalgia is a long-term disorder. Sometimes, the symptoms improve. Other times, the pain may get worse and continue for months or years.
Calling your health care provider

Call your health-care provider if you have symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Prevention

There is no known prevention.
References
Abeles M, Solitar BM, Pillinger MH, Abeles AM. Update on fibromyalgia therapy. Am J Med. 2008;121:555-561. [PubMed]
Häuser W, Bernardy K, Üceyler N, Sommer C. Treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome with antidepressants. JAMA. 2009;301:198-209. [PubMed]
Wolfe F, Rasker JJ. Fibromyalgia. In: Firestein GS, Budd RC, Harris ED Jr., et al., eds. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2008:chap 38.
Wolfe F, Clauw DJ, Fitzcharles MA, Goldenberg DL, Katz RS, Mease P, et al. The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis Care Res. 2010;62(5):600-610.

2 comments:

  1. Hello everyone i am here to testify and englighten you on how you can be cure from the disease/virus known as Diabetes as the FDA described that it cannot be cured or there is no cure for it, not knowing that herbal treatment is highly recommended for the treatment and cure for Diabetes its easy and it has no side effect, Doctor James herbal mix medicine it's A1 and a powerful strong  pure natural remedy that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being  are you interested in curing Diabetes now, I am a living testimony of how Dr James herbal mix medicine cured me with natural herbs which I bought from him. You can cure your Herpes, Hepatitis a, b, Gonorrhea, Fibroids ,Infertility ,Epilepsy, Syphilis, Chronic infection, Copd, ,Std, Cancer, Hpv Backache,arthritis etc.........
    for more info send him a DM on
    WhatsApp @ +2348152855846
    Email drjamesherbal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been diagnosed with HIV/Aids 3 years ago and I've become denial at first for a year but later I accepted it and I'm living with depression i have used different type of antiviral drugs and injections and i still have the virus in side of me and wish for permanent cure so I struggled to keep healthy.and I've been very stressed lately I slept with a guy a month ago without a condom I always protected my self but this time he took the condom out without me noticing I became so scared knowing my status and I can't live with my self knowing that I infected one another person I told him that he should take p.e.p anti virus he said no he is clean there is no need unless I know I'm not clean I was so scared not ready to tell him following day took me to his doctor for me to come he is clean he tested in front of me n I fogged my result sent him someone else's result with my name I regret it and I'm scared don't know how to tell him I'm scared can't live with my self knowing that I did what I did after protecting all the guys I've been with for so long it;s about a day for me to tell him that I'm HIV positive I came across testimony of a lady cured of HIV from Dr James herbal mix, I picked up interest and contacted the same Dr James, told him my problems and he asked me some few questions and then said I should send him money to prepare the powerful herbal medicine for HIV and send to me I did,2 days later he courier the herbal mixed medicine to me through DHL and I received the medicine in 3 days. I drank the medicine morning and night as he prescribed for me for 3 weeks and I was cured, I couldn't believe it that HIV/Aids has a permanent cure and I would be cured of HIV/aids when many said there is no cure for the deadly virus. Dr James powerful herbal mix cured me and I recommended him to my friend Gomez who pulled off his condom and had unprotected sex with me, and he was cured too with the same remedy from Dr James herbal mix
    Thanks to Dr James herbal mix and his powerful herbal exploit. At least his treatment cured me of HIV/AIDS completely. Hopefully it will be helpful for you as it happened with me. Dr. James herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same HIV/AIDS or any type of human illness, including Backache, Miscarriage treatment, Back pain, Lower back pain, Herpes, Hepatitis, Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts, Muscular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease, Autism, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis, Lupus, Backache, dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / LOTTERY.CONTACT EMAIL : drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com......Whatsapp +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete